2017 Russian Fulldome Festival Award Winners
It’s the last day of the 3rd Russian Fulldome Festival in Yaroslavl and during these three days the audience and the jury watched 50 feature films and video clips produced by creative teams from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Germany, the United States, France, Greece, Argentina, Thailand and others. All in all, 20+ countries participating in the contest.
The Festival Jury was formed by eminent Russian scientists, planetarians and fulldome lovers: Sergey Yazev (Head of the Jury, Director of the ISU Observatory), Thomas Kraupe (Director of Hamburg Planetarium), Mikhail Gavrilov (Academic Secretary of the Scientific Council on Astronomy at the Russian Academy of Science), Theofanis Markopoulos (planetarium producer), Dmitry Belonozhko (Professor at the Department of Physics of the Yaroslavl State University).
In order to evaluate each production, the Jury members followed certain criteria, such as the scientific value of the presented content, the quality of the film script and the visuals, the correspondence between the soundtrack and footage, and finally the uniqueness of the idea behind the film. Each fulldome production could be awarded the maximum of 25 points.
There’re more than 15 awards and diplomas for the Festival winners and participants. The prizes in each category were awarded to several entries without distinguishing the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. After some discussions, the Jury members have decided to grant them to the following productions:
- Best Fulldome Short-films:
- “Our North Pole 360”, by Poseidon Expeditions
- “Earthquakes and Tsunamis”, by Donetsk Planetarium
- “April 12, 1961. Reconstruction of the First Space Flight by Yury Gagarin”, by Nizhny Novgorod Planetarium
- Best Fulldome Film
- Best Educational Film: Incoming!, by California Academy of Sciences
- Best Fulldome Cinematography: Capturing the Starlight: the Magnificent Telescopes, by Theofanis N. Matsopoulos
- Best Music: Belisario, the Little Big Hero of the Cosmos, by Planetarium City of La Plata
- Best Soundtrack: Lichtmond – Days of Eternity by Hamburg Planetarium & blu phase media GMBH
- Best Fulldome Film for Children: “Mice and Moon”, by Fulldome Basement Production
- Best Astronomical Documentary: “Nebulae”, by Large Novosibirsk Planetarium
- Best Short Documentary: “Minin”, by Siberica Film
- People’s Choice Award (Feature Show): The Secrets of Gravity – In the Footsteps of Albert Einstein, by Softmachine Immersive Productions
- People’s Choice Award (Short-film): “Our North Pole 360” by Poseidon Expeditions
We will be adding the new Russian productions to the Fulldome Database shortly.
Congratulations to all the Festival winners!