Job Opportunity: Fulldome Technical Specialist at the Fleet Science Center
The Fleet Science Center is San Diego’s only interactive science center and home to the world’s first Giant IMAX Dome Theater. With more than 400,000 visitors annually, it is the most visited museum in Balboa Park. The Fleet opened in 1973 and is now evolving into a dynamic county-wide organization dedicated to building and supporting communities rich in science learning.
The institution is looking for a highly skilled technical individual who enjoys working closely with team members and visitors to deliver the high quality experiences. The A/V Technical Specialist will maintain, operate, and perform repairs and maintenance on all A/V related systems. These include Digital dome projectors, assistance with 70 mm film projector, sound systems, video creation and editing, and running our “Sky Tonight” astronomy shows.
This is a full-time position that actively supports the mission and goals of the Fleet Science Center by:
- Operating Digital Sky Full-Dome system and periphery equipment. Running astronomy shows for the publicSky Tonight Astronomy show;
- Preparing all digital Full-Dome content from hard drive to dome (editing, slicing and distributing);
- Providing support for A/V needs throughout entire building (Theater, Boardroom, Conference Room, Community Forum and Lecture Hall);
- Supporting organization’s audio and video editing needs (After Effects, Photo Shop, Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.);
- Making new audio/video sessions for special events and social media;
- Performing post-production activities as needed, including photo and scene selection, editing, graphic design, layout, special effects, music selection and scoring and media conversion and duplication;
- Preparing audio for all IMAX films including captioning for IMAX filmsand preparing separate mix for Spanish language.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of two years related experience in a position responsible for all A/V systems, digital projection, and film/sound editing;
- Technical expertise as needed for the position;
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing;
- Ability train, supervise, and direct other employees on use of equipment;
- Experience in After Effects, Photo Shop, Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Sky Scan, etc.
If you’re interested in the position, fill in the online application form on the official website and join the team!