Job Opportunity: Lecturer at the Ward Beecher Planetarium, Youngstown State University
The Ward Beecher Planetarium is looking forward to expanding its professional team with a dedicated and enthusiastic Lecturer. Being a 145-seat facility within the Department of Physics & Astronomy at Youngstown State University, it serves as both a planetarium for school shows and the general public from September through June, and as a classroom for introductory astronomy students throughout the year.
The planetarium staff has a long history of developing innovative programs for people of all ages, and has recently begun to produce new fulldome content. The admitted candidate will become part of this exciting new direction in science education.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree, preferably in physics, astronomy or Earth and space science;
- Two-year experience in education/public outreach;
- Preferably some experience in planetarium operation;
- Experience using the latest fulldome and planetarium projection systems;
- Some experience in grant writing;
- Demonstrable knowledge of astronomy;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Passion for both K-12 education (including knowledge of current science standards) and public outreach.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Development and presentation of school programs;
- Presentation of public shows.
The ideal candidate should apply online by submitting a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and a copy of the transcripts for the highest degree earned. Review of applications will begin on September 23, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled. The starting date is expected to be no later than January 1, 2016. Salary will be based on a 12-month rate commensurate with experience.
For more information regarding Employee Benefits please visit the HR page on the YSU website. General inquiries about the position can be made to Megan Massaro, Human Resources.
Have you liked this post? Subscribe to FDDB Newsletter
Sign up now, it's free!