Part-Time Presenter Position available at Longway Planetarium
The position typically works one weekday, Thursday and Friday evenings, and every other Saturday and Sunday which averages out to about 15 hours per week. Our presenters are expected to run shows for school groups and the general public. These shows include both fulldome feature films as well as hour-long star talks.
Astronomy knowledge is preferred but can be taught. Presentation skills and a pleasant demeanour with our guests are paramount for this position. We run a Digistar 6 system, there will be a training period for new hires to get acclimated to running the system before running a show solo.
This employee also occasionally helps with our portable planetarium which visits each Flint public school at least once a year as well as many of the schools within Genessee county and surrounding counties.
- Job Title: Planetarium Presenter
- Location: Longway Planetarium
- Reports To: Planetarium Manager
The part-time Planetarium Presenter is responsible for setting up the planetarium prior to a show, running and presenting all shows that Longway Planetarium has to offer as well as shutting the system down at the end of the day.
- Start up and Shut down planetarium system.
- Presenting planetarium shows during normal business hours in addition to special events such as weddings, birthday parties and business meetings.
- Maintaining a clean workspace in the console area in the dome.
- Engaging with the public about astronomical topics.
- Ability to speak to the public in a performance type capacity.
- Ability to work with children.
- Astronomy knowledge preferred.
- Computer experience preferred.
Have you liked this post? Subscribe to FDDB Newsletter
Sign up now, it's free!