May 10, 2016
Job Opportunity: Digital Content Designer at the Ward Beecher Planetarium, Ohio
The Ward Beecher Planetarium at Youngstown State University is currently seeking a Digital Content Designer to produce new content (images, video, and 2D/3D animations), ensure its broad distribution, and support the facility efforts to showcase scientific and entertaining media in the immersive environment of a fulldome digital planetarium. This 145-seat facility functions within the Department of Physics & Astronomy at Youngstown State University, and serves as a planetarium for school shows and the general public, and as a classroom for introductory astronomy students throughout the year. As a partner in the NASA-funded CosmoQuest team, the Planetarium staff contributes to exploring space and advancing people's understanding of the universe.
- Bachelor’s degree in multimedia, video production, computer graphics, or a related field;
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in digital media design and proficient in audio/video production software, including Adobe AfterEffects, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier Pro, and/or ProTools HD;
- Experience in editing audio for use in video/CG productions;
- Experience with fulldome planetarium video formats;
- Experience with: 3D animation software (e.g., 3DStudioMax, Cinema4D, Blender) and panoramic stitching software (e.g., PTGui, Auto Pano Giga, Auto Pano Video Pro); rendering 3D global frames and textures into equatorial cylindrical equidistant projection; GoPro cameras;
- Experience working in a collaborative environment;
- Demonstrated knowledge of astronomy and/or astronomical datasets;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Works on the entire visual production process from concept to final deliverable;
- Utilizes NASA images, still photos, videos and computer animation to create full dome graphics;
- Integrates multiple media types into a single production to include 3D animation principles, color correction, new media, videography, compositing, editing, titling, motion graphics, and audio mixing and mastering;
- Utilizes in depth knowledge of multimedia principles and scientific visualization principles;
- Maintains a database of all footage in the media archive and digital production pipeline;
- Operates and maintains a PC workstation and small render farm for video production;
- Collaborates with the Planetarium staff and members of the CosmoQuest team to develop media content and programming for the planetarium and the SOS, including warped images, time-lapse video, 2D/3D animations and other visual elements that can be projected onto planetarium domes (fulldome video) and SOS installations around the world;
- Networks with members of CosmoQuest to share knowledge and expertise in order to stay informed on new developments and ideas. Limited travel funding is available for the candidate to interact with fulldome professionals at other locations, as needed.
Have you liked this post? Subscribe to FDDB Newsletter
This is a friendly community,
Don’t be too commercial,
Start the experience!
Not yet registered?
Sign up now, it's free!
Sign up now, it's free!