March 10, 2017
Job Opportunity: Planetarium and Exhibits AV Technician @ Frost Science in Miami
The soon to be opening Frost Science in Miami, Florida, is seeking for a Planetarium and Exhibits AV Technician.
SummaryReporting to the Audio Visual Manager, the Planetarium Audio Visual Technician will need to set up, operate, maintain and repair Planetarium AV equipment used to enhance Museum events, such as projectors, TV’s, microphones, DSP’s, lighting and sound mixing equipment. They will provide additional support for Museum Av including digital signage, classrooms, and conference rooms with codecs and touch panels.
Duties and Responsabilities
- Performs routine duties such as replacing lamps to more complicated duties such as replacing wiring and electronic components.
- Inventory and make requisitions for planetarium supplies.
- Assists supervisor with theater production, which includes installing equipment, writing computer commands to control equipment, assembling visuals, and selecting, recording and editing narrative and music.
- Oversees interns and volunteers in the Frost Planetarium.
- Work on other areas, tasks or other collaborative teams as needed and as assigned, mostly as it relates to AV requirements.
- Troubleshoot technology exhibits running on Mac OSX and Windows based computers throughout the Museum.
- Stays informed of cutting edge planetarium technology and programs.
- Collaborate with Programs staff to develop and launch engaging planetarium live shows, public programs and supporting materials to support the Frost Planetarium experience and interpretive plan, including standards-based pre/post materials for field trips, camp programs, home school programs, demos, labs, etc.
- Conduct visual research and other visual media asset acquisition.
- Work with evaluation staff to conduct formal and informal audience research.
- Write and/or edit treatments and scripts for multimedia productions.
- Ensure that planetarium shows are experimentally engaging.
- Assist supervisor in developing scientific visualizations for the full dome environment.
- Operate sound and lighting boards for planetarium.
- Operate and support laser light shows during museum events.
- Operate and maintain daily audio visual tasks.
- Maintain AV technician schedule including weekends.
- Maintain regular maintenance checks to all AV systems.
- Be on-call outside of normal working hours during production periods, and in emergency situations.
- Perform setups of portable setups for exhibits if needed.
- Attend A/V staff meetings and training sessions.
- Undertake any other relevant activities which fall under the general scope of this position as directed by the Audio Visual Manager and VP of Technology.
Minimum Job/Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required in science, preferably in a space science related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a planetarium technician or 5 years’ experience as an audio/video technician.
Required Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge and/or passion for space science and all related content areas.
- Knowledge of Planetarium software and hardware.
- Knowing of computer networking and audiovisual systems as they pertain to an exhibition environment.
- Knowing of laser systems, a plus.
- Skill in repairing various types of planetarium equipment.
- Skill in graphics, photography and writing for program design.
- Excellent communication skills, both interpersonally and in writing.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with creativity, curiosity, integrity and determination.
- Valid Florida Drivers’ License.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work under pressure, multitask, meet deadlines, and work collaboratively.
- High level of organizational skills.
- High level of self-motivation and self-direction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with the ability to effectively share information across and between multiple disciplines and reach audiences with varied technical and organizational knowledge.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- Ability to follow and understand signal flow.
- Support lighting systems, control apparatus, equipment and maintenance thereof.
- Ability to work as part of an existing team.
- Consoles and a knowledge of connectivity and setup of these consoles would be a beneficial.
- As most AV systems are now IP based it would be beneficial for the applicant to have some basic networking knowledge for fault finding and hardware replacement scenarios.
Have you liked this post? Subscribe to FDDB Newsletter
This is a friendly community,
Don’t be too commercial,
Start the experience!
Not yet registered?
Sign up now, it's free!
Sign up now, it's free!