January 18, 2016
Job Opportunity: Planetarium Coordinator, California, USA
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the position of Planetarium Coordinator who will be responsible for technical aspects, presenting, maintaining equipment, installing shows, etc. The Fujitsu Planetarium at De Anza College has a 50-foot dome with 140 seats. It was remodeled in 2008 with a fantastic new Konica Minolta Infinium-S star projector, a 4K Sky-Skan digital system (which are linked together), beautiful ECCS cove lights, 5.1 sound, laser and new Astro-Tec Dome. Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, Planetarium Coordinator shall perform specialized activities and provide overall support and guidance to the day-to-day operations of the facility and equipment, including serving as a presenter for various programs, shows and activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- to provide support and expert guidance for all daily activities of the Planetarium, including problem-solving and decision-making related to the Planetarium facility, programming and equipment;
- to present Planetarium programs to area schools and private and public groups, with a focus on providing learning opportunities in a compelling and creative manner;
- to assist in developing cooperative programs with the De Anza College instructional program, non-profit organizations and foundations, cities and counties;
- to communicate with other planetariums and outside organizations in person, on the telephone or online regarding new programs and technology;
- to train instructors and staff on the use of Planetarium equipment; provide technical and creative assistance to instructors and support for astronomy courses;
- to research and recommend the purchase of new equipment and shows according to allotted funds, write technical bids for equipment purchases, work with Purchasing department for equipment requiring formal bid process;
- to work with Community Education staff and the Office of Communications & External Relations to promote the Planetarium;
- to recruit, recommend for hire, train and provide work direction to assigned staff, including laser and astronomy show technicians and presenters.
Employment Qualifications & Standards:
- any combination equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in astronomy or related field AND two (2) years experience in a planetarium;
- understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff;
- knowledge of modern Planetarium practices, Planetarium equipment, and facility maintenance;
- knowledge of astronomy, including constellations, evening sky and related knowledge;
- knowledge of record-keeping techniques and tracking of data to inform decision-making;
- knowledge of principles of training and providing work direction;
- public speaking techniques;
- ability to oversee the Planetarium facility, operations and equipment;
- ability to creatively develop and present programs and activities for College astronomy classes, group astronomy programs and the general public;
- ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- ability to maintain records and prepare reports;
- ability to work independently with little direction.
Conditions of Employment:Salary: $4,948.09 (per month) plus benefits. Position: Full-Time, Permanent, 12-months per year. Starting Date: As soon as possible upon completion of the search process. Work Schedule: Monday – Friday; Some weekends may be required. If you get interested in this position, include in your apllication packet the following documents: an on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/, a cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position, a current resume of all work experience, formal education and training. For more information about the application process please contact: Employment Services Foothill-De Anza Community College District 12345 El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022 (650) 949-6217 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you liked this post? Subscribe to FDDB Newsletter
This is a friendly community,
Don’t be too commercial,
Start the experience!
Not yet registered?
Sign up now, it's free!
Sign up now, it's free!