Job Opportunity: Planetarium Specialist, Arizona Science Center
Arizona Science Center in Phoenix, AZ is searching for an experienced Planetarium Specialist (full time) for the Digistar-based Dorrance Planetarium. This position was posted on 8/20/2021 and will remain open until filled.
The Planetarium Specialist is essential in ensuring an optimal experience at Arizona Science Center, and is responsible for using exemplary service skills to create positive and memorable experiences for Center guests, particularly in the Dorrance Planetarium -- the largest full dome in the Southwest!
The Planetarium Specialist ensures implementation of programs, shows, and events at Arizona Science Center to inspire, educate, and engage curious minds through science. The Planetarium Specialist is responsible for providing unique and exciting astronomy and space science planetarium shows and experiences, and troubleshooting for technical problems as needed. As part of the Theaters team, the Planetarium Specialist may also provide technical support in the Irene P. Flinn Giant Screen Theater.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Provides technical oversight, program facilitation, and content management for Planetarium:
- Manages the opening & closing of the Planetarium; monitors safety, order and cleanliness of the Planetarium.
- Manages and performs the maintenance and operation of the Planetarium equipment; ensures all equipment in booth and dome are maintained in first class condition at all times through regular maintenance and troubleshooting
- Produces, implements, and facilitates Planetarium (live/playback astronomical experiences) and Laser shows .
- Works across teams and with external partners on logistics to produce successful daily and special events.
- Trains Informal Learning team on operation of the planetarium and content.
- Works with management on long range goals for the Planetarium.
Supports Giant Screen Theater operations:
- Assists with technical support for digital projection systems
- Operates projectors and audio equipment to provide scheduled daily shows as needed.
- Supports special events in Giant Screen Theater.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of two years related experience and/or training. Bachelor's (BS) in Astronomy, Earth Science, Physics or related field preferred.
- Working knowledge of digital planetarium systems
- Working knowledge of Digistar (planetarium software) system
- Strong public communication skills
- Excellent customer service
- Familiarity with the planetarium industry including organizations, such as RMPA, IPS, and key vendors
- Understand safety practices applicable to planetarium, theaters, building and workshop
- Willingness to work flexible work hours (including evenings and weekends)
- Able to work efficiently without direct supervision
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations
Salary: $18-$20/hour - DOE
For the complete job description, or to apply visit our recruitment page here.
Have you liked this post? Subscribe to FDDB Newsletter
Sign up now, it's free!