Job Opportunity: Planetarium Educator (Part-Time), Chicago
The Cernan Earth and Space Center, on the campus of Triton College just west of Chicago, is seeking a creative, knowledgeable, energetic, flexible, and dynamic PART-TIME Planetarium Educator for up to but not always 28 hours a week.
We are looking for candidates who truly enjoy presenting programs, whether it’s the first or the thousandth time. There is also plenty of opportunities to contribute to new content, collaborate on events and activities, make suggestions and implement new ideas that will increase awareness, audiences, and revenue for the Space Center while serving our community.
This position is primarily responsible for accurate and quality presentation of all types of planetarium programs. This includes but is not limited to live and prerecorded public, group, special event, and laser shows mainly weekends and evenings. This position must provide excellent customer service to all Cernan Center visitors, members, Triton College students, other departments, and our surrounding communities.
1. Present planetarium programs: prerecorded, live scripted and unscripted, and laser shows
2. Provide inspiration, information, and assistance in a clear and effective manner to diverse audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
3. Build and maintain strong knowledge base in astronomy and space exploration plus other sciences and topics as required.
4. Smoothly Integrate planetarium systems operation while presenting to a live audience.
5. Assist with troubleshooting and maintenance of systems as required.
6. Master fundamentals of Digistar 6 planetarium software.
7. Assist with other events, projects, and duties as needed.
8. Position will require continuous training, evaluation, and growth in order to create and promote new content for schools and the community.
1. Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in science, communications, or education preferred.
1. 1-2 years classroom teaching, working in a planetarium, or informal science education, including delivering complex content preferred.
1. Able to speak in front of and manage a large, diverse audience of all ages.
2. Answer questions from visitors of all ages in an age-appropriate manner: vocabulary, content, length, etc.
3. Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and other software.
4. High comfort level with computers and projection systems.
5. Physical abilities: Climb up and downstairs including a spiral staircase. Work in low light conditions. Work in a noisy environment.
1. Hourly pay rate of $15.00, maximum of 28 hours per week;
2. Hours scheduled primarily on Saturday (day/evening) and Sunday afternoons. May also be scheduled one to two days Tuesday through Friday.
3. Recommended hire will be subject to background check and drug test;
4. Official transcripts required prior to commencement of employment;
5. Triton College is an AA/EOE.
Have you liked this post? Subscribe to FDDB Newsletter
Sign up now, it's free!