Job Opportunity: Show Specialist at Delta College Planetarium - Bay City, Michigan
Position Accountabilities & Essential Functions:
- Produce and present shows for a wide variety of audiences, including general public, schools, families, college classes, private groups and special events;
- Research and design for planetarium shows;
- Monitor day-to-day routine operation of Planetarium theater;
- Make sure part-time show presenters and other theater staff are scheduled for all planetarium shows;
- Oversee and supervise running of scheduled shows, ensuring staff arrives and equipment is functioning;
- Assist with handling of visitors, including groups, classes and the public;
- Participate in interviewing and hiring process and participate in scheduling and overseeing training and evaluation sessions;
- Act as Digistar systems manager by maintaining computer accounts;
- Introduce and host programs; operate multiple planetarium theater systems;
- Present current night sky; discuss with audience current sky features, NASA activities and astronomy phenomena;
- Initiate, develop and present specialty programs and displays including special shows, classes workshops and events that may be necessary as circumstances and events dictate;
- Provide advertising support through the development of videos, posters and other media content;
- Assist Planetarium Manager and other Planetarium technical staff in performing continuing maintenance, adjustments, replacements and upgrades to all electronic, computer and mechanical components of the planetarium;
- Take a lead role in managing the Planetarium web site with continuous updating to reflect planetarium activities, current astronomical information, NASA events and sky phenomenon;
- Program Digistar graphics files as an integral part of each show;
- Assist with scene layout; create/mount/mask/align still visuals; produce/edit/dub video and audio; produce/edit/program Spice (Planetarium computer automation system);
- Evaluate the planetarium’s library of shows in terms of how they fit into the state’s Department of Education Science Benchmarks and develop additional planetarium sequences and interactive demonstrations that support those objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Astronomy, Science, Science Education, Media Technology or related field;
- Strong working knowledge of astronomy;
- Extensive experience with planetarium equipment including all facets of full dome digital projection systems and multiple telescope designs;
- Minimum three (3) years of full-time work experience in planetarium, museum or closely related field;
- Demonstrated planetarium programming abilities including audio/visual editing and digital dome production;
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, organizational and communication skills;
- Physical ability to perform all planetarium operations and maintenance operations including lifting and moving a maximum of 50 pounds and climbing within the planetarium dome structure;
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
Additional Experiences Considered:
- Digistar 5 Dome show scripting and presentation experience;
- Experience with school group and informal learning activities;
- Technical production skills with software comparable to PhotoShop, AfterEffects, Premiere and 3D Studio Max.
Have you liked this post? Subscribe to FDDB Newsletter
Sign up now, it's free!