Job Opportunity: Planetarium Show Presenter @ California Academy of Sciences
The California Academy of Sciences has an opening for a Planetarium Show Presenter.
The Planetarium Show Presenter delivers mostly-astronomical presentations, including but not limited to planetarium shows, presentations in Hohfeld Hall, and presentations on the museum floor for public and school audiences and for special events. In most public shows, this involves a small amount of live presentation, with most of the show prerecorded. As certain programs develop, the portion of shows delivered live may increase. For school shows, the entire show is performed live while operating the Planetarium visuals from a control panel or computer interface. Presenters may also develop content for planetarium shows and for astronomy presentations in other venues where astronomical expertise is desired, such as Hohfeld Hall, Science in Action, the Naturalist Center, or the Hearst Theater, among others, and for presentations for NightLife and Special Events. They may also be called upon to operate telescopes and guide astronomical viewing sessions for NightLife or sleepovers or for daytime events such as solar viewing, eclipses, transits, etc. This part-time position will be 6-18 hours per week and temporary with an expected duration of 6 months from start date with possible extension.
Essential Duties & Responsabilities
- Assist in seating and directing audiences as needed in the Planetarium theater or other venues
- Presentation of public and school Planetarium shows and astronomy-based presentations in other venues
- Accurately and courteously answering questions from visitors
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- Basic astronomy knowledge is required, extensive knowledge is preferred.
- Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college; or six months to one year related experience and/or training in public speaking or announcing; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years experience working in an informal education/museum environment desirable.
- Planetarium experience, prior work with school groups, and/or telescope operation desirable.
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to speak confidently & comfortably before a live audience of up to 300, consisting of varying age groups & education levels; employing clear diction, strong projection, and command of the English language; must also be able to speak comfortably in close-quarter situations with smaller, more intimate audiences, such as the GeoDome or Hohfeld Hall
- Ability to work in a darkened environment
- In-depth knowledge of a natural or physical science, with broad knowledge of others, is highly desirable
- Mobility, endurance, & visual acuity required to safely ascend 35 steps on a 30-degree slope to get from “stage front” facing the Planetarium audience to the control console in the rear of the theater, occasionally in low-light conditions
- Ability to function and perform well as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills required
- Rigorous adherence to scientific accuracy
- Familiarity with operation of Windows PC platform
- Manual dexterity to operate Planetarium console controls and various computer input devices, including traditional computer mouse, touch-screen, or joystick controls
- Sufficient multitasking ability to operate Planetarium controls or software while speaking smoothly and coherently
- Excellent customer service skills required
People interested in this position can review the full posting and submit the cover letter and resume online at the official website.