Job Opportunity: Planetarium Coordinator at Hartnell College
The Planetarium at Hartnell College in Salinas, CA, is searching for a coordinator to perform specialized activities and manage the operations of the planetarium facility and equipment; oversee and present various programs and activities for college classes, group astronomy programs, and the general public.
The J. Frederic Ching Planetarium has been enchanting audiences with the wonders of astronomy since its original construction in 1962. A renovated and updated facility reopened in 2005, ushering in a new digital era with the Konica Minolta Mediaglobe projection system. Nowadays the institution is equipped with a brand new 40' dome.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Any combination equivalent to: bachelor’s degree in astronomy, physics, physical science or related field and two years’ experience in a planetarium;
- Knowledge of planetarium operation and management;
- Knowledge of modern astronomy including constellations, evening sky, physical science and mathematics;
- Dramatic and theatrical techniques related to planetarium programming;
- Profound interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to coordinate the planetarium facility and equipment;
- Ability to coordinate and present creative programs and activities for college astronomy classes, group astronomy programs and the general public;
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports;
- Ability to meet schedules and time lines;
- Ability to work independently with little direction.
- To perform specialized activities and coordinate the operations of the planetarium facility and equipment; coordinate technical requirements and maintenance contracts of the facility;
- To schedule and present planetarium programs for college classes, schools, community groups and the public; modify and install new programs; research, write, produce and update existing programs as needed; compile schedules for shows and lectures;
- To maintain the planetarium facility and equipment; design, build, set-up and maintain planetarium equipment as necessary; contact outside vendors as needed for repairs; maintain documentation and inventory files on equipment;
- To plan and schedule planetarium – star shows, courses, and special events; modify programs by adding and rearranging projectors and special effects; charge and collect admission fees according to established procedures;
- To prepare preliminary budget recommendations related to planetarium operations; purchase new equipment, tools and shows according to established procedures; coordinate and oversee maintenance contracts and other related technical requirements of facility; maintain related records;
- To arrange and update exhibits in the lobby and other exhibit areas as needed;
- To respond to issues or concerns regarding the planetarium facilities or programs; provide public information and answer astronomy and related science and space technology questions.
Conditions of Employment
Status: Regular, full-time, 12 months per year classified position.
Salary: $3,789 to $4,610 monthly.
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Benefits: health benefits, which currently consist of full medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee and a high percentage of coverage for eligible dependents.
The following items must be received by the filing date in order to be considered in the initial screening (incomplete applications will be disregarded):
1) A completed Hartnell College classified application.
2) A resume and cover letter.
3) Copy of college/university transcripts.
You can submit your application materials to:
Hartnell Community College District
Human Resources and Equal Employment Opportunity
411 Central Avenue
Salinas, California 93901
Fax: (831) 755-6937
Applications are also available on the official website. The filing deadline is November 13, 2015 by 4pm.
Have you liked this post? Subscribe to FDDB Newsletter
Sign up now, it's free!